What did people expect? After the “independent” review was appointed … an establishment cheer leader and a former politician … I told you then it would FAIL to get to the real causes of the riot/uprising or name those who should be held really responsible.
In my blog piece “The Riot: Establisghment Cheerleaders Won’t Identify Real Causes” here’s what I wrote months ago, in July:
“The problem is they have a lot in common: they are or have been members of the public establishment, now investigating the establishment’s handling of a major fiasco; these are people who owe their careers, well above average incomes and comfortable lifestyles to the public trough, so don’t expect them to bite the hands that feed them.
“As a result, I regard these people as little more than ”cheerleaders” for the politicians and government bureaucrats who appointed them: they will NOT address the real reasons behind the rampage by thousands, and the millions of dollars of damage and thefts that shocked and embarrassed the city … again.”
And here’s what I predicted in August: “officials will blame a small group of thugs, the government will vow to crack down in the future, and the media will call for stiff sentences to those apprehended.”
I believe that’s exactly why we got the puff piece report we did … condemning the rioters and drunks (which IS true) : but it FAILED to really lay the blame with those who should be held responsible for at least contributing to, encouraging and facilitating the events that resulted in the explosive conconction that blew up in theirs and the city’s face.
But fortunately, the Harvey Keeping it Real Report on Fear and Loathing in Vancouver … based totally on my own observations, views and experience … and FREE to the all … will tell the world who else …apart from the drunks and thugs … are to blame:
* THE CANUCKS: If every organization that puts on a parade or festival is required to pay for policing costs, the CANUCKS should too! After all, these multi-millionaire owners and players are making MILLIONS of dollars in BONUS $$$ on each and every playoff game … they DO bear responsibility for costs the taxpayers have been bearing to police the crowds. (By the way, teams in the US DO pay a share of those costs.)
* MAYOR GREGOR “GORDON” ROBERTSON (isn’t he’s sounding more and more like slippery Gordon every day?) he bears responsibility for ACTIVELY ENCOURAGING the crowds to come downtown, no doubt to to cash in politically on another “we are the world” type fun gathering. It didn’t work ..and he should stop those feeble attempts to make it look like he had nothing to do with it, no involvement, blah, blah, blah.
* CITY HALL COUNCILLORS/BUREAUCRATS: who clearly FAILED to alert or stop the “kumbaya” Vision council madness of putting up HUGE SCREENS in several locations downtown to help ENCOURAGE people to come downtown by the tens and hundreds of thousands to watch the games and “celebrate”. Are they really so incompetent that they expected tens of thousands hockey fans (this was not a figure skating or luge crowd!) to gather without BEER … lots of BEER??? Without adequate thought/planning of what to do with an emotional, angry alcohol-fueled mob in case the Canucks lost such a critical game?;
* CBC : so caught up in hyping their own broadcasts and “community involvement” attempt to bolster their own flagging local news presence, personalities and ratings that they FAILED to realize or adequately prepare what would happen when the crowds got too large …and the Canucks failed to deliver on the ice.
* DOWNTOWN BOOZE PURVEYORS: They should be SUED by the city and businesses to recover costs stemming from their pushing the booze consumption to almost record levesl …apparently paying a lot more attention to how much beer they could pour down people’s throats and how much cash they could stuff into their cash registers than the impact OUTIDE their doors of what they were doing inside;
* ANARCHISTS/THUGS: There’s no doubt there were people who were hoping to take advantage of any chaos they could muster … and took advantage of it when they succeeded. They should be punished severely ..but, of course, under our court system will not be. (For show and politics, a few WILL be handed stiff sentences, but these will all be overturned on appeal and reduced to something truly meaningless.); and,
* VPD MANAGEMENT: You can’t blame city cops…they were just overwhelmed, understaffed and badly directed. BUT Chief Jim Chu’s and his management team’s excuses don’t hold water (or beer): the city should have learned a lot better from 1994; there were all kinds of signs early in the day the mob was forming, the situation was building; and those gathering by the tens of thousands were not the same mom, pop and kids’ demographics who celebrated the Olympics, and the police brass should have known that and have been prepared; and,
BIG BUSINESS, THE PROVINCIAL AND FEDERAL GOVERNMENTS: for 10 years of reshaping our society into one where the rich are indeed getting MUCH richer, while the middle class are getting screwed (barely improving wages while rapidly rising taxes/fees), and the poor are just left behind entirely. That didn’t start the uprising, but no doubt that led to many, many normally restrained and civilized citizens joining in … or at least cheering the others on from the sidelines.
Of course, the Harvey Report would require our civic, business, media and political leaders to self-examine, self-criticize and self-improve ..so it will be ignored.
And this is also why Furlong, for leaving the Establishment off the hook, got the Order of BC … while I definitely will not. 🙂